Pages

Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Working Mother

I have never really felt that "My head is going to explode" feeling until the past few weeks, and it has nothing to do with this precious baby that consumes all of my thoughts and time at home.  It's WORK! 

I have had a great transition back to work since I was on maternity leave, and rather than slacking off (which I thought would be the case returning after baby) my responsibilities have been multiplied by about 50.  The company I work for is going through a huge growth spurt and hiring like crazy.  At the executive planning meeting in January, our executives set our priorities for the year, and one of the top ones was recruiting.  I expressed an interest in Human Resources and recruiting when I first started almost 4 years ago, so I was approached to completely take over recruiting. 

I'm really flattered that they believe in me enough to put me in charge of one of our biggest initiatives for 2011.  I know 100% that I can see our company through this growth spurt, but because we have no processes and procedures in place for recruiting, I'm building everything from scratch.  My days are consumed by marking two steps off of my list, then adding 10 more when I realize that we've encountered a new part of the process that has no documentation or process.  Phew, lots of processes and procedures, but I'm loving it.

I'm way more efficient when I'm under pressure.  When I ask for a timeframe for our hires, I get the same response "We needed them yesterday", so I'm definitely under pressure on this one. 

So back to the head exploding, definitely feel like my head's going to explode, lots to do, no time to do it.  But the best part of my day, no matter how successful I am at work with my multiple lists, is when I see my boy at the end of the day and he gives me the biggest smile and wiggles until I scoop him up to take him home. 

No comments:

Post a Comment