Pages

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The dogs

While my love for our four-legged friends hasn't changed a bit since Eli was born, my patience for their quirkiness definitely has.  I love these dogs to death, they really were our first children.  I dreaded having to drop them off to be boarded, even for one night.  I wanted to tour the facilities, make sure they would have beds, heat in the winter and a/c in the summer, and toys to play with while we were away.  When we boarded them over Thanksgiving a few years ago, I actually gave the boarding place turkey gravy to put on their food.  Some may have thought we were pretty obsessed, we called it love. 


When we brought Maddie home, she was only 7 pounds.


Our first road trip to Dallas, Maddie sat on top of Cooper the entire way.


The good 'ole days, when they slept with us.


Now, they're still completely spoiled, but we leave them outside for longer periods of time, don't allow them to sleep with us, board them for our extended vacations, don't bother with toys, and I have absolutely no patience when they walk under my feet or sit and beg while we eat.  Payton often comments on how I seem to "hate" them, which is a strong word.  I don't hate them at all.  In those silent moments, when Eli is in bed, and the housework is all done, late at night, when I finally have a chance to sit down, I'll pay the dogs some attention, but my attention these days is otherwise completely on Eli and Payton. 

I couldn't imagine not having them, and I'm so glad that Eli is finally acknowledging them.  I wonder if he will have a favorite as he gets older.  They pretty much look the same (give or take 15 pounds) but have completely different personalities.  We caught a video of Eli giving Maddie "kisses" on Sunday and he thinks it is hilarious. 




No comments:

Post a Comment